Written by Jahanvi Patel
The fashion scene is not bound by age! It is about your personal style and personality which is why you shouldn’t be afraid to wear what makes you feel good.
As we age, maintaining comfort and independence becomes increasingly important. For seniors, clothing that accommodates changing physical needs while also reflecting personal taste is a key factor in enhancing the quality of life. This is where we see adaptive clothing stepping in; an option that offers innovative designs and functional features to address mobility challenges and promotes ease of dressing. Here is a comprehensive guide on the essential considerations and top recommendations when shopping for seniors!
What is Adaptive Wear?
Adaptive clothing is specifically designed to meet the unique needs of individuals with limited mobility or other physical limitations. These garments are embedded with features that make dressing and undressing easier, thus reducing the risk of discomfort and maintaining a sense of independence. When shopping for adaptive clothes, here are a few things to keep in mind:
consider the specific needs of the wearer and determine what types of functional features would allow for a smoother and more manageable dressing process! Here are a few features that can be incorporated in adaptive designs:
- Velcro/Magnetic Closures –Velcro/magnetic fasteners replace traditional buttons and zippers, allowing for easy closure and adjustment of garments.
- Elastic waistbands – elastic waistbands ensure a comfortable fit without the hassle of buttons or belts.
- Wide neck openings – wide neck openings facilitate easy dressing and minimize the need for excessive arm movement.
- Back-opening designs – shirts and blouses with front-opening designs eliminate the need to raise arms during dressing.
- Side snaps – pants with side snaps enable easy on/off without the need to stand or raise legs
Fabric and Comfort:
Opt for adaptive wear made from soft, breathable, and moisture-wicking fabrics. These materials not only enhance comfort but also help prevent skin irritation and pressure ulcers. Some recommended fabrics include cotton blends, jersey knits, and moisture-wicking fabrics that ensure the skin remains dry.
Sizing and Customization:
Ensure that the adaptive clothing you choose comes in a variety of sizes and allows for customization. Adjustable features such as drawstrings, elastic bands, and adjustable straps allow for proper and comfortable fit, accommodating to changes in body shapes and sizes. This will definitely allow for longer wear over the years!
Style and Aesthetics:
Adaptive wear doesn’t mean compromising on style. Many brands offer adaptive clothing in a range of styles, patterns, and colours to suit individual preferences. Whether you are looking for casual wear, formal attires, or even specialized garments like adaptive swimsuits, you are sure to find options that reflect your personal style.
Care and Maintenance:
Consider the care requirements for the clothing you choose. Look for machine-washable options that simplify the laundry process and ensure that the garments maintain their quality over time.
Wardrobe Tips for Senior Women
Choose quality over quantity!
Opt for items that are guaranteed to last you long while maintaining their quality. Consider having some basics along with a few statement pieces to spice up your wardrobe.
Basics, Basics, and More Basics!
Having a capsule wardrobe with several basic pieces will allow you to easily mix and match your clothing items allowing you several different outfits!
Embrace the Eclectic!
Don’t be afraid to try new colours and patterns. A little bit of mix and match never hurt anybody.
is the perfect final touch to your outfits. Something vintage or with a pop of colour is sure to draw eyes to your look.
Writer’s Pick: Your Adaptive Essentials
Wardrobe Tips for Senior Men
Comfy and Classy!
You can never go wrong with a comfortably and classically timeless piece. Shirts, trousers, sweaters…anything! Opt for a neutral item that you can mix and match in your wardrobe.
One Size Doesn’t Fit All?
Don’t box yourself into having to dress a certain way because of age. Explore your personal style by remaining in touch with recent fashion trends and style!
Footwear might be one of the most important items in your wardrobe. Look out for shoes that guarantee comfort and style. Something like slip-on shoes are great for easy wear and removal.
Confidence is Key!
No matter what you wear, confidence is the ultimate accessory. Embrace your personal style, celebrate your individuality, and wear your clothes with pride!
Writer’s Pick: Your Adaptive Essentials
Additional Tips and Tricks!
When shopping online for adaptive garments, keep in mind a few of the following things to ensure a seamless shopping experience.
- Take a look at some of the reviews from other shoppers! What are some consistent things that others have experienced with the item? Runs large? You’ll know to size down! Runs small? An indication to maybe size up! Remember, the customer’s honesty is always the most accurate policy…therefore the reviews might really help you make or break the deal!
- And in case the item has reviews all over the place and you’re still not sure…check the return policy! There is no harm done if the store has an accessible and customer friendly return policy in case you ever want to return any items you end up not loving.
- Make a list of the items you need and a list of the items you want. This will help you cut down on unnecessary purchases. But remember, every once in a while, it’s great to splurge on yourself especially if it’s a clothing piece you really want.
- Take a look in your wardrobe. Which colours do you seem to wear the most? It’s likely you lean towards buying clothing items within certain colour schemes that suit you most. Although it can be fun to try new things, there’s nothing wrong with sticking to what works.
- Lastly…have fun! Fashion and age are never meant to be restrictive. Clothes are the easiest way to show off your personality.